Thursday, August 13, 2009

Reality Beckons the Passing of Time

Reality Beckons the Passing of Time


I stepped out into the cool crisp air of September
‘Bout the time when the leaves began to fall,
Swept from their branches by the voice in the air saying,
“Remember. Remember, my child, remember.”

Startled, I didn’t expect anything to stir around me.
But, gently and sweetly the wind sang to me.
It knew me, a quivering voice speaking my name,
Singing a soothing and familiar melody.

Straining against the noise I try to hear
The things I’ve forgotten o’er the years--
But this pause was fruitless as I couldn’t recall,
The things I was supposed to remember at all.

And the branches rustled in a grumpily fashion,
Emphasizing the message with resounding passion.
Though this tune sounded so familiar in my head--
I could only hear the leaves against the wind instead.

“Tell me the things that I have lost!”
I screamed so desperately into the air,
“Important lessons forgotten by my mind--
Perhaps the memories of a pleasanter time!”

But as the wind rose up, it let out a sigh
For it and I both knew, it had been too much time
As I had forgotten these moments couldn’t last
Carelessly, I had misplaced the memories of my past.

As I stared across the horizon I could only surmise:
That reality beckons the passing of time,
This longing feeling, If only i could go back
These precious moments would return to be mine.

By Greg Butz,
Inspired by Melissa So

July 13th, 2009

This poem was inspired by a poem title from Melissa So (former student and friend). I couldn't get it out of my head, and I just had to put it in a full poem format. So I asked her for permission to use it, and she of course said yes. Her quote was the most powerful and poignant portion of the poem, the last stanza. With the exception of three additional words, the last stanza is hers in the entirety. I love using elements of nature and crafting them into human experiences, personification at its finest. I hope you enjoy this poem. And thank you so much Melissa for allowing me to use and adapt your work. =D

0 comments: